We believe in the importance and value of Git, and would love to have as many developers using Git around the world as possible. So we’ve made it easy for you to teach a Git tutorial workshop with turnkey presentation materials.
Whether you’re hosting an in-person workshop or a digital presentation, you’ve come to the right place.
Get Crackin’ with Git using GitKraken
In this interactive Git tutorial workshop, attendees will learn how to set up a GitHub account, download the cross-platform GitKraken Git GUI, and sign-up for GitKraken Boards in preparation for building an HTML/CSS webpage.
Presenters will explain common Git concepts and see how actions are typically performed in the command line before discovering how much easier a Git workflow is with a visualization tool, like the GitKraken Git GUI.
After integrating GitKraken with GitHub, participants will learn how to create a repository, clone the repo, create a branch, edit a file in the GitKraken code editor, commit changes, push changes to GitHub, submit and merge a pull request, and finally merge changes.
Attendees will also create a Starter Kanban Board using GitKraken Boards to track their progress throughout the workshop.
Tips on Hosting an In-Person Workshop
Whether you’re hosting a small meetup or a workshop as part of a thousand-person-hackathon, hosting an in-person event comes with a slew of logistical challenges. Give yourself enough time to plan in advance, and consider these best practices:
- Form a team, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. You will especially want some extra hands the day of the event.
- Create a code of conduct to ensure all attendees feel safe and respected; and have a plan in place for reporting and enforcing violations.
- Communicate! Communicate with your volunteers and event staff, your attendees, and any sponsors or vendors often. Let people know where they can park, if you will be providing meals, or any other details that will help them prepare for an optimal experience.
Get a playbook for hosting a successful student hackathon.
Tips on Hosting a Virtual Workshop
There are unique challenges that come with hosting online workshops. You aren’t able to interface directly with your attendees, so it can be difficult to keep them engaged. Take time to strategize how you will evolve your presentation into a valuable digital experience. Here are a few tips:
- Invest in the right tools.
- Test your setup & practice your presentation.
- Prepare attendees in advance:
- Set expectations for participation (how they can ask questions, etc).
- Give instructions for downloading software or creating accounts participants will need to access during the workshop.
- Provide helpful materials they can reference throughout the workshop.
- Recruit a team member to help monitor the chat for questions.
See more tips, tricks, and our recommended virtual presentation tools in Hosting a Virtual Workshop.